We were so busy yesterday with the open house, I failed to post before-and-after pictures like I promised. So, today we’ll double up.
Check out these transformations in the dining room and kitchen. Wow!
We encountered lots of water damage in that left corner due to a water pipe break on the other side of that wall. In addition to structural, plaster, and floor repairs, we enlarged the door opening to the kitchen to make the space feel open. We salvaged a lot of the v-groove wood under the chair rail.
The hideous vinyl windows were were replaced with high-quality wood windows that matched the original windows of 9 panes over 1. These windows were approved by the Historic Preservation Office (HPO).
We decided to remove the two doors on the right to keep the flow open. The glass pane door was used as the pantry door. The door to the left of the fireplace was used as a closet door upstairs. We replaced it with a glass door to offer a view of the reading nook in the Foyer.
Luckily, we were able to keep the tile intact in this fireplace. The hearth was covered in grime. With many hours of elbow grease, it now shines!
All of the ceilings on the main floor revealed the original v-groove. Some ceilings were covered in ornate wall paper with awful glue. Years later, a grid-panel drop ceiling was added. After sanding and repairing the ceilings, they are now bright and fresh.
As we mentioned in a previous demo post, Jennifer and I removed three walls in the back of the house to create one large room for the kitchen. Here, you’ll see photos taken from about the same spot in the house. We believe this kitchen area pre-dated the house and was used as a neighborhood grocery as early as 1900.
The back corner of the house, under sheetrock, we found a chase made of tongue-in-groove wood panels. Under those panels is the original kitchen chimney. In the “after” photo, you can see the chase just as we found it. Throughout these photos, you can see we incorporated that same wood material in the kitchen island and vent hood. We tried to reuse existing materials found in the house whenever possible.
When we removed the sheetrock in the kitchen, we found the original v-groove wood. It’s now painted as a feature wall.
These windows looked out to the backyard. We removed them to create French doors to lead out to the deck. We removed the wall to the left of those windows to create an entry to the mud-room, another entrance to the house.
This door originally led to the back porch (where we found the sleeping squatter). The glass door we removed from the dining room is now in place of this door leading to what is now the pantry. We converted the back porch to heated-square feet for use as the mud room and pantry.
No more wall!
The view from the hall.
The view from the kitchen to the adjacent bathroom.
As we mentioned above, we reused original materials throughout the house. Here’s how we used those materials in the kitchen.
Corbels found in the foyer are now used as brackets for the island.
Tongue-and-grove panels pulled down from the ceiling were used to build the island and vent hood, which match the fireplace chase.
Stay tuned tomorrow for the downstairs bedroom and bath.